It’s no secret that the majority of us use Chase cards, which makes a lot of people want to know about the Chase Freedom Spending Category Review. The article below provides in-depth information on the Chase Freedom Flex cards.
Chase Freedom Flex℠ and Chase Freedom® credit cardholders (no longer accepting new applications) can activate bonus 5% cash-back categories each quarter.
CNBC Select offers the cash-back schedule for 2023 as well as how to take advantage of a 5% cash-back card.
Chase Freedom Cash-Back Calendar for 2023
For the third quarter of 2023, Chase has just revealed a 5% cash-back category. The final category will be available in September.
- January to March (closed): Grocery stores (excludes Walmart), Target, fitness clubs and gym memberships
- April to June (closed): Amazon.com and Lowe’s
- July to September (activate now): Select live entertainment (i.e. concerts, professional sporting events, museums and amusement parks, gas stations, and EV charging)
- October to December: Announcing on Sept. 15
Chase is expanding its cash-back programs to cover electric vehicle charging for the first time. Bowling alleys, movie theaters, gaming facilities, third-party vendor purchases, truck stops, marinas, and oil distribution are the only major exclusions from the Q3 bonus categories.
Chase Freedom Spending Category Review for Q3 2023
From July 1, 2023, through September 30, 2023, the Chase Freedom 5% bonus categories are as follows:
- Live entertainment includes live concerts and sporting events (but not bowling alleys, movie theaters, gambling establishments, or third-party vendor purchases).
- Service stations (truck stops, marinas, and oil distribution) are not included.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles
These new categories are especially easy to optimize if you have summer plans, whether you’re going on a road trip or attending a local concert. This is also the first appearance of electric vehicle charging stations on the Chase Freedom category list.
From June 15, 2023, until September 14, 2023, Chase Freedom Flex℠ and Chase Freedom® cardholders can activate the Q3 bonus categories through their Chase account.
Once activated, the bonus will be applied retrospectively to purchases up to the spending restrictions from the beginning of the current quarter.
How Chase Freedom Categories Work
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ and Chase Freedom® cards receive 5% back (or 5x points) on a fresh set of bonus categories each quarter of the year.
Activation is necessary, and once you have spent the quarterly maximum of $1,500 in bonus categories, your rate will revert to 1%.
While these are touted as cash-back cards, if you have another Chase card that earns transferable Chase Ultimate Rewards® points, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, you can combine rewards and transfer them to Chase’s airline and hotel partners.
As a result, the Chase Freedom Flex℠ and Chase Freedom® bonus categories yield either 5% back or 5x points.
Each quarter, you’ll receive 5% back or 5x points on up to $1,500 in combined purchases, for a total of $75 back or 7,500 Chase points.
To be eligible for cashback or bonus Chase Ultimate Rewards® points, you must activate the quarterly bonus categories each quarter. You’ll get an email asking you to activate them using your online account.
Who is the Card for?
This is ideal for those who wish to earn a large percentage of their purchases and don’t mind manual activation every quarter. The card is especially useful for customers who have Chase Sapphire cards, which allow transfers to Chase’s travel partners.
This opens up the possibility of higher redemptions than the one-cent value points have when redeemed for cash back with the Chase Freedom Flex.
This card also pairs well with credit cards such as the, which offers 1.5% off all purchases. On purchases that do not fall into one of its extra 5% or 3% categories, it receives 1%. As a result, combining allows for possibly bigger point earnings.
How to Activate Your Chase Bonus Categories
To obtain the full 5% cash back, bonus categories must be engaged each quarter, and you can do so in a variety of ways. The activation window for Q3 opens on June 15, 2023.
The Chase Mobile app is one of the simplest ways to activate your account. You can also activate rewards via your account hub, phone, email, or at a Chase facility.
If you need a reminder to activate, add it to your calendar to ensure you don’t miss out on any reward categories.
Once you’ve activated a category, you’ll earn 5% cash back on any category purchases made during the quarter.
Even those made before activation — for the first $1,500 in sales, then 1%. If you have numerous Chase accounts, make sure each one has a category enabled.
Chase Freedom Flex Benefits
The Chase Freedom Flex is a World Elite Mastercard, which means it offers the most comprehensive set of Mastercard advantages. Freedom Flex cardholders have the following benefits, among others:
- Cellular coverage: If you use your Freedom Flex to pay your monthly cellular bill, you’ll be insured for up to $800 in damage or theft per claim and $1,000 per year. There is a $50 deductible.
- ShopRunner membership: You will receive a free ShopRunner membership, which enables free two-day shipping from dozens of major shops.
- Savings: Lyft, Boxed, and Fandango are just a few of the retailers that offer Mastercard World Elite cardholders savings.
The Chase Freedom Flex offers the following benefits:
- Travel insurance: Non-refundable passenger fares paid with your Freedom Flex are covered by $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip insurance.
- Membership in DashPass: Your first three months of DoorDash delivery service subscription are free. After that, you’ll be automatically registered in the service at a 50% discount for the next nine months. If you order from home frequently, the savings from no delivery expenses might quickly add up.
The Freedom Flex card is a fantastic no-fee card with big earning potential. This card provides 5% cash back in quarterly rotating bonus areas.
Gas stations, EV charging, and select live entertainment are the new 2023 Q3 categories. Maximizing your quarterly bonus is a terrific way to rack up loads of Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Chase Freedom 3rd quarter categories for 2023?
Gas stations, EV charging, and select live entertainment are the new bonus categories for the Freedom Flex card in 2023 Q3.
What is the 5 percent category for Chase in July 2023?
After activation, Freedom and Freedom Flex cardholders can earn 5% cash back at gas stations, on electric vehicle charging, and on select live entertainment purchases.
Is the Chase Freedom card being discontinued?
The Freedom card has been disabled, and its replacement is known as the Chase Freedom Flex℠.
Does Chase give second chances?
Certain checking account activity, such as a history of overdrafts or an involuntary account closure, may limit your ability to open new accounts.