Can I Expedite My Passport After Applying? 2023 FAQs

Can I Expedite My Passport After Applying?

The anticipation of receiving that small blue book—your passport—is often the beginning of the excitement of planning an international vacation.

However, life often takes an unexpected turn, and you find yourself in a situation where you need your passport sooner than intended.

The burning question then becomes, “Can I expedite my passport after applying?”

Yes, it is possible to expedite your passport application after you have applied, but there are certain procedures and circumstances to consider.

We’ll walk you through the process, the instances where expedited service is offered, and the accompanying expenses in this article.

Can I Expedite My Passport After Applying?

You never imagined it would happen to you: you have the opportunity of a lifetime, but it is a last-minute opportunity, and you don’t have a passport!

Maybe you have a passport, but you just noticed it’s expired, and your flight departs in a few days.

Whatever the case may be, you require a passport immediately. The standard passport service via the post office currently takes up to 13 weeks, but don’t worry!

We’ll walk you through the process of obtaining an expedited passport step by step.

Step 1: Decide How Quickly You Need Your Passport

If you intend to leave the country as quickly as possible, you will almost certainly require expedited passport service.

If you wish to receive your passport on time, you must select the appropriate expediting method from the list below.

Expedited Passport Service at the Post Office

You can ask for expedited service at the post office (or another passport acceptance facility).  Along with your standard application expenses, you must pay a $60 expediting charge.

You’ll also have to pay an extra shipping fee if you want overnight delivery.

Postal expediting can take up to 9 weeks and is not assured. Your passport will be delayed if there are any problems with your documentation.

Is your post office often crowded and slow? Use this tool to find more passport acceptance offices in your area.

You might be able to apply at a local library or county clerk’s office, for example.

Expedited Service at a Passport Agency

If you are departing in fewer than 8 days, you can schedule an appointment at one of the State Department’s regional passport agencies.

You are also eligible for an appointment if you are departing within the next month and need to obtain a visa.

Passport agencies will usually send you your passport within 8 business days.  However, if you require it sooner, they will do their best to accommodate you.

You’ll pay the same additional $60 expedited cost at a regional passport agency that you would if you applied for passport expedited service at the post office.

What’s the snag? Only 26 regional passport offices serve the entire country. As a result, you may have to travel to the nearest one.

Passport offices typically have limited hours of operation and frequently require an appointment. This may not be an option if you work during the day and cannot take time off

Using a Passport Expediting Company

If you can’t (or don’t want to) make it to the nearest regional passport agency because you’re in too big of a hurry to wait for the post office, consider using a passport expediting service.

A recognized passport expediting service will hand-carry your application paperwork to the Department of State, where it will be processed in as little as 7 working days.

They will then ship your new passport to you, generally overnight.

Even if you have 13 weeks till your departure, using an expediting business may be a good option. Using an expediter decreases the possibility of errors that could cause your application to be delayed.

If there is a delay at the passport office, the expediting business will notify you quickly so that you can fix the situation.

The first thing you’ll do if you decide to hire an expediting service is place an order. When you place your purchase, you will pay the expediting firm to handle your application on your behalf.

You will then pay the government fees separately. Yes, you must also pay the $60 government expedited cost.

Contact Your Local Congressman

If you have previously placed an order with your local post office or passport agency and have not received your passport, you can seek assistance from your U.S. Congressman.

In emergency situations, your Congressman’s office can expedite processing and help you get appointments with Regional Passport Agencies. You will still be charged a $60 government expediting fee.

First, you must determine who your representative is. You may find out who your representative is by going to and entering your zip code.

Then you must fill out the Privacy Release Form. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. 552a) requires written authorization from Members of Congress or their staff before they can access information about an individual’s case.

Appointments at Passport Acceptance Facilities cannot be scheduled by Congressional offices. Furthermore, these offices are unable to submit a passport application on your behalf.

If you are concerned that your application may be missing information, this may not be the ideal solution for you.

Step 2:  Gather Your Documents

If you choose an expediting service, the provider will most likely assist you in gathering the necessary paperwork.

We give out a full checklist and appoint a case manager to assist you with any concerns or problems.

What documents are required to obtain a passport? It all depends. The prerequisites for the most typical passport circumstances are stated below.

New Passports

If you have never had a passport before, or if your current passport cannot be renewed by mail, you will require the following documents:

  • Proof of Identity: A driver’s license or state ID card, a previous US passport or passport card, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, a military ID, or a government ID card are all State Department-approved photo IDs. You’ll need the original as well as a front and back photocopy.
  • Proof of Citizenship: Submit either a previous US passport, a certified birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad as proof of citizenship.
  • One passport photograph.
  • Fees for passports: The application fee for a new passport is $130 for a passport book, $30 for a passport card, and $160 for both. There is also a $35 execution fee and a $60 expedited cost. Find out more about passport fees here.
  • DS-11 Passport Application Form
  • Visiting a passport agency or using an expediting service: You’ll also need a copy of your itinerary. Business travelers who haven’t booked a flight yet, on the other hand, can utilize a letter from their employer.

Lost or Stolen Passports

If you’ve misplaced or stolen your passport, you’ll need to apply for a new one.

Everything specified under new passports is required, as well as Form DS-64, Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport.

More information on how to replace a lost passport can be found here.

Passports for Children

Children must apply for a passport in person at a post office or passport acceptance office.

Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by both parents. Please bring the following documents with you:

  • Proof of identity for the parents, as previously described
  • The child’s proof of citizenship
  • A birth certificate or court order proving the child’s relationship to the parents or guardians.
  • One passport photograph.
  • DS-11 Passport Application Form
  • Fees for passports.  For children, the passport application fee is $100 for a passport book, $15 for a passport card, and $115 for both.  The execution charge stays at $35, while the expedite fee stays at $60.
  • Visiting a Passport Agency or using an expediting service?  You’ll also need a copy of your itinerary.”

If just one parent is able to attend, bring one of the following:

  • The absent parent must complete, notarize, and sign Form DS-3053.
  • If applicable, provide proof of sole custody or a death certificate if the other parent is deceased.
  • Include Form DS-5525 stating why you are unable to contact the other parent if you do not know where they are.

Children aged 16 and 17 may apply on their own, provided they have their own identity; however, it is preferable if at least one parent attends to demonstrate “parental awareness.”

Passport Renewals

If you already have a passport, you may be able to avoid going to the passport office entirely.

If all of the following statements apply to your most recent passport book or card, you can renew by mail using Form DS-82.

  • Your most recent passport is still with you and has never been reported stolen or misplaced.
  • It’s not more than 15 years old.
  • It was a complete 10-year passport, not a limited-validity passport.
  • It is in the name you presently use OR you can submit legal paperwork to support a name change request, such as a marriage certificate or court decree.

If you are not eligible to renew by mail, apply for a new passport as described above.

If you qualify, you will need the following:

  • Your most recent passport (book or card) from the United States.
  • Form DS-82 for renewing a passport
  • One passport photograph.
  • Passport costs $130 for a book, $30 for a card, and $160 for both, plus a $60 expedite fee. More information about passport fees can be found here.
  • Visiting a passport agency or using an expediting service: You’ll also need a copy of your itinerary. Business travelers who haven’t booked a flight yet, on the other hand, can utilize a letter from their employer.

Step 3: Fill out the Application

Fill out the application form next. Fill out the form online and print it if possible. This will prevent your application from being delayed because the passport office is unable to read your handwriting.

If you don’t have a printer, you can pick up a copy of the application at the post office. Fill it out properly and in black ink.

If you’re using Form DS-11, don’t sign it until you’re in front of a post office agent!

Step 4:  Go to the Passport Office (If Required)

Even if you use a passport expediting service, you will have to go to the post office unless you renew your passport by mail.

If you do not use an expediting service, the post office will assess your documents and forward them to the State Department for processing in 5-7 weeks.

If you choose an expedited service, the passport agency will “seal” your application packet on your behalf. You will follow the company’s instructions to send your application to them for processing within the time limit you choose.

Pro Tip: Allow at least 30 minutes for security screening if applying at a regional passport agency.

Remember that you must arrive at your scheduled appointment time, but that does not guarantee that a passport agent will be able to see you right away.

You may have to wait, just as in a doctor’s office. Allow for some extra time.

Step 5: Wait for Your New Passport to Arrive

The only thing left to do now is wait.  If you expedite your application through the post office, you can monitor it here.

If you choose an expediting service, you should receive updates on the status of your purchase as it is processed.

If you use RushMyPassport, you can track your order here, and representatives are available to assist you by phone, email, or live chat if you have any more questions.

Need a passport quickly? Don’t have the time or patience to go to a passport office?

See why RushMyPassport is the most convenient option to get a passport in a hurry by checking out our expedited passport services or visiting a FedEx Office location near you!


While it is possible to expedite your passport application after you have applied, it is critical to do so only when absolutely required, as expedited service comes at an additional expense. 

The best method to avoid the need for expedited service is to plan your overseas journey ahead of time and apply for your passport with enough time for standard processing.

However, life is full of surprises, and knowing the process and criteria can be a crucial lifeline to ensure your travel plans continue on track when expedited assistance is required

Frequently Asked Questions

Can you get a passport on the same day in the US?

If you plan to travel within the next two weeks, you may be able to visit the US Passport Office for same-day or next-day service.

What time are fast-track passport appointments released?

Appointments for dates in three weeks are released every day. Because the Passport Office is experiencing “unprecedented demand,” make an appointment as soon as possible.

Can I travel for 2 months on my passport?

It is possible that a country with an active agreement with your destination country will allow it. Some nations will even let you enter with an expired passport if you have the papers with you.

Can I get an international passport in a day?

After a successful application, the passport should be accessible within 72 hours. If there are any problems, the applicant must be notified within 48 hours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like